Hi there! I couldn’t wait for summer but now I’m melting from all this heat and humidity. It’s been over 90 degrees every day for the past week. It makes it impossible to take pictures in this heat. I’m sweating bullets by the time I take the first picture… LOL! I’m surprised I don’t look like I lathered up in baby oil in these pictures.
I did some basic twists in my hair this weekend because I didn’t want to style my fro. It’s nothing fancy, I just added the braid hair so I could achieve a different look, which I thought looked cute pinned up. I really love the outcome because it’s easy and I can take it out after a few days. I like the look of braids but I can’t deal with the headache that comes with getting them put in. I don’t like sitting for hours and my head is too sensitive so I can’t see myself getting my hair done professionally in any braided style. I figure if I do it myself, It won’t be too tight and I can remove them for wash day.
I’m pretty basic in the summer, I wear a lot of dresses because I can slip them on and off with ease. I go for light weight fabrics, cotton blends, and colors that compliment my skin tone. This dress is from Sears, it was $15, the belt is thrifted and the shoes are my favorite neutral colored pumps that I purchased at Target a few months ago. What is your favorite outfit style for the summer?
I wanted to share my list of 10 key pieces that we should all have in our wardrobe for summer. I think these pieces help build a fashionable wardrobe and keeps you cool during the humid days of summer.
Here are my key pieces!
- Nude/neutral color sandals or footwear. Since we tend to wear more colorful outfits during the summer I think nude footwear makes it easy to mix & match, color block, and really enjoy bold colors without worrying about buying multiple pairs of shoes.
- The Sundress. The name says it all “sundress” it’s hot and sunny and what better way to show off your feminine side than while wearing a cute sundress. I own all kinds of dresses, with various prints, colors, and styles. I honestly can’t get enough of them. I wear them with sandals, pumps, flip flops, and sneakers…they are perfect for this season.
- Cute light weight accessories. I usually fine bangles that are either made from wood or metal works really well with the outfit selections for the season. I also go for small stylish earrings and necklaces. I love bold jewelry but I don’t think it’s necessary for the weather, it gets so hot that I’m pouring sweat from every where and I just get annoyed with the overly chunky jewelry. I think light weight and smaller jewelry helps dress up your outfit without the extra fuss.
- Summer Sunnies. Most retailers offer a nice variety of shades in different styles. I personally love aviator styles, that come with or without the mirror lens. I think the style fits the shape of my face the best. I would suggest finding frames that fit the shape of your face.
- Floppy hat. The best head accessory for summer! Great for the beach or while wearing a fabulous sundress. I don’t have any floppy hats currently but I’m looking to buy one real soon.
- Classy clutch. Because lugging around a large heavy tote makes me sweat even more! I use a clutch, wristlet, or smaller bag when it’s hot. I try not to carry around too much stuff, just my drivers licence, lip gloss, and credit card.
- stylish shorts. Shorts and summer go hand in hand. I wear rompers, denim shorts, all types of prints and patterns, shorts are a must have, just make sure the cut and length works for your body type.
- Feel good swimsuit. You can go one piece or two piece. I personally love the one piece. I did find a few two piece styles that I will also be rocking this summer. I look for high waisted styles in the two piece to cover my stomach pooch and I’m drawn to bright colors and pretty prints.
- Beach essentials. Straw bags, sun block, flip flops, beach towel, and reading material. These are all needed for a day at the beach or pool. I want to be comfortable and relaxed the entire time I’m there soaking in the sun.
- Graphic T’s. They are bold, artsy, and just plain fun to rock for the summer.Throw them on with your favorite shorts and your ready to conqueror the day. I buy T’s that say what’s on my mind and express how I feel.
Did I forget anything? I probably did, feel free to add on or tweek the list!
Dress: Sears buy it here
Shoes: Target, Old buy similar here