Get ready for lots of color on the blog, I love a variety of bright, happy colors for the summer. With it being sunny and hot in the South I typically go for clothing that is light weight and has cotton blends for comfort. I found this dress at sears for $15 and I had to have this color. The aqua color is so pretty and it compliments my skin tone. I don’t think that the photograph really shows off how pretty the dress is. The top of the dress is sheer and flowy while the bottom part is more fitted. It’s simple and sexy and goes nicely with some accessories that I already had in my jewelry chest.
I’m continuing the trend of neutral footwear, as I stated in my previous posts I think that when your rocking colors, nude footwear works best. I really like the design of the shoe the most. It has this wing effect on the sides and the small cutouts make the shoe more interesting. At first I thought it had a lot going on with laces and all but they have grown on me. They are also extremely comfortable to wear all day. Enjoy the pictures loves, and have a great week!
Dress: Sears Buy it here
Shoes: Buy it here
Hi there! I couldn’t wait for summer but now I’m melting from all this heat and humidity. It’s been over 90 degrees every day for the past week. It makes it impossible to take pictures in this heat. I’m sweating bullets by the time I take the first picture… LOL! I’m surprised I don’t look like I lathered up in baby oil in these pictures.
I did some basic twists in my hair this weekend because I didn’t want to style my fro. It’s nothing fancy, I just added the braid hair so I could achieve a different look, which I thought looked cute pinned up. I really love the outcome because it’s easy and I can take it out after a few days. I like the look of braids but I can’t deal with the headache that comes with getting them put in. I don’t like sitting for hours and my head is too sensitive so I can’t see myself getting my hair done professionally in any braided style. I figure if I do it myself, It won’t be too tight and I can remove them for wash day.
I’m pretty basic in the summer, I wear a lot of dresses because I can slip them on and off with ease. I go for light weight fabrics, cotton blends, and colors that compliment my skin tone. This dress is from Sears, it was $15, the belt is thrifted and the shoes are my favorite neutral colored pumps that I purchased at Target a few months ago. What is your favorite outfit style for the summer?
I wanted to share my list of 10 key pieces that we should all have in our wardrobe for summer. I think these pieces help build a fashionable wardrobe and keeps you cool during the humid days of summer.
Here are my key pieces!
- Nude/neutral color sandals or footwear. Since we tend to wear more colorful outfits during the summer I think nude footwear makes it easy to mix & match, color block, and really enjoy bold colors without worrying about buying multiple pairs of shoes.
- The Sundress. The name says it all “sundress” it’s hot and sunny and what better way to show off your feminine side than while wearing a cute sundress. I own all kinds of dresses, with various prints, colors, and styles. I honestly can’t get enough of them. I wear them with sandals, pumps, flip flops, and sneakers…they are perfect for this season.
- Cute light weight accessories. I usually fine bangles that are either made from wood or metal works really well with the outfit selections for the season. I also go for small stylish earrings and necklaces. I love bold jewelry but I don’t think it’s necessary for the weather, it gets so hot that I’m pouring sweat from every where and I just get annoyed with the overly chunky jewelry. I think light weight and smaller jewelry helps dress up your outfit without the extra fuss.
- Summer Sunnies. Most retailers offer a nice variety of shades in different styles. I personally love aviator styles, that come with or without the mirror lens. I think the style fits the shape of my face the best. I would suggest finding frames that fit the shape of your face.
- Floppy hat. The best head accessory for summer! Great for the beach or while wearing a fabulous sundress. I don’t have any floppy hats currently but I’m looking to buy one real soon.
- Classy clutch. Because lugging around a large heavy tote makes me sweat even more! I use a clutch, wristlet, or smaller bag when it’s hot. I try not to carry around too much stuff, just my drivers licence, lip gloss, and credit card.
- stylish shorts. Shorts and summer go hand in hand. I wear rompers, denim shorts, all types of prints and patterns, shorts are a must have, just make sure the cut and length works for your body type.
- Feel good swimsuit. You can go one piece or two piece. I personally love the one piece. I did find a few two piece styles that I will also be rocking this summer. I look for high waisted styles in the two piece to cover my stomach pooch and I’m drawn to bright colors and pretty prints.
- Beach essentials. Straw bags, sun block, flip flops, beach towel, and reading material. These are all needed for a day at the beach or pool. I want to be comfortable and relaxed the entire time I’m there soaking in the sun.
- Graphic T’s. They are bold, artsy, and just plain fun to rock for the summer.Throw them on with your favorite shorts and your ready to conqueror the day. I buy T’s that say what’s on my mind and express how I feel.
Did I forget anything? I probably did, feel free to add on or tweek the list!
Dress: Sears buy it here
Shoes: Target, Old buy similar here
I swear I purchased a dress just like this from H&M last spring with a different print. H&M has some of the best prints and patterns in their clothing line. The dress is lined, fits really well and I think the quality is great for the price. I’ve been looking for more dresses to add to my wardrobe, most of what I have doesn’t fit anymore since my weight gain.
I’ve always been a girly girl, I remember my mother always bought me dresses with matching shoes and hair ribbons, dresses make me happy! They make me feel pretty and feminine.I love the length of this dress, it sits perfectly just above the knee. I decided to wear a belt but you don’t need to wear one, the fit is that awesome.
Since the dress has a busy print, I thought a neutral color shoe would work best. You can either go sexy with a pair of pumps or casual with a pair of nude sandals. Either pair of shoes work really well, for work I would wear the sandals, I would save the pumps for date night. My fringe bag goes everywhere so expect to see more posts featuring it. Which shoe would you wear?
Enjoy the pictures…leave some feedback…have a wonderful work week!
Belt: Thrifted see similar here
Sandals: Old see similar here
shades: Old see similar here
Hi loves, It’s only mid-week and I’m already dreaming about Friday…LOL. I traveled to Greenwich, Connecticut for the Cancer Care Walk/Run for Hope, I had an amazing time. The weather was perfect and there is nothing like seeing old friends. I’ll post about the event in my next post. In the mean time, I wanted to share another casual fun look with you. I discussed why I love high-waisted skinny jeans in a previous post and here I am rocking another pair. The only difference is that these are a straight or tapered leg.
I found this off the shoulder shirt online and I think it’s so sexy. I fell in love with It’s soft cotton blend and coral color. I think it works really well with high-waisted jeans. I can either tuck the shirt in or wear it out, it looks great either way. I found the jeans at a local Burkes Outlet store for $9, they are by Gloria Vanderbilt . Her jeans have always been a favorite of mine for years.
The overall look is very simple and everyday. I wore the sandals in a before, I like the neutral color and the platform, it gives me height and makes my legs look a little longer. You can easily dress this outfit up with more accessories or other statement pieces and create a different look. I’m looking forward to 2 upcoming events that will require more dressy outfits, I can’t wait to share them with you all. Please enjoy the pictures and the rest of the week!
Jeans: see similar here
Sandals: TJMaxx; see similar here
Hey, it’s hump day! I’m excited because I can’t wait to visit close friends this weekend. I’m taking a much needed break from work to have some fun, advocate, and share my testimony. I’ll be participating in this years Cancer Care Walk/Run for Hope in Greenwich, CT. I’ve missed the last 2 years because I was still in treatment and it was difficult to travel. I’m thankful just to be able to participate this time around, I feel truly blessed. I’ve wanted to do more traveling this year, I’m looking forward to some trips to nearby states like New Orleans for starters. I haven’t been there since the year before hurricane Katrina devastated the city. I would love to see how much it has changed and recovered since the storm. It’s such a beautiful place to visit because it’s rich in culture and there is so much to see and enjoy.
I’ve been picking up casual attire like this to travel around town and be comfortable. I think denim jackets are a staple piece in any wardrobe, it’s basically a must have for me. I purchased this one from a local boutique while visiting Charleston, SC, I can’t remember the name of the store but I’ve provided a link to get a very similar one from Forever 21. I’m in love with the fringe bag, I especially love that the fringe is long and the camel color is really pretty.
The dress is light weight, flowy, and feminine. It’s ideal for warmer weather because it’s a cotton blend to help absorb sweat and it doesn’t cling to the body. You can just throw it on and rock it with or without the jacket. I’ve had the sandals forever, they have a shorter heel which makes them comfortable. They have a nice mix of colors across the front. They are my go to sandals when I’m wearing earth tone or casual outfits. I completed the look with some orange lipstick that I picked up at Sephora’s. The lipstick is by Smashbox ” Get Fired” and earnings that I’ve had in my collection for a few years.
Denim Jacket: see similar here
White cotton dress: see similar here
Bag: Marshalls see similar here
Sandals: TJ Maxx old see similar here